Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Anime Cliches

"I'll protect you!" C'mon! I've heard that one a billion times. I don't mean from any real life experience because that would just be awkward. I'm talking anime. Why is this phrase so overused? If the character is so weak, why aren't they simply uninvolved? Why do the weaker characters always try to become stronger to always be eclipsed by the main protagonist? There is really no hope. As much as I live anime, and I do, so many shows have similar premise. That on its own isn't bad, but with the same drama and conflict present, monotony sets in. That old droning that easily bores you over time. It may even set your thinking that certain animes are copying one another. While its true that precursor animes exist, I'm in no particular outset to track down the first tsundere anime or the first "saving the world and getting stronger against all odds" premise. I'm willing to accept all anime with certain exclusions. I point out the parts to myself that scream repetition. It's like another Inuyasha flashback or a "insert character name" power up that requires ten minutes and their adversary that stands there and allows it. This post is more or less my rants on anime I'm watching currently that bring up some cliche so prevalent, it requires notation. I just have to write my frustration down before it causes me to drop a show.

1. Why are there even weak(er) protagonists?
2. Why have them attempt to advance themselves if your focus isn't on settin them equal to the main protagonist, but simply to appease some fan base to keep your anime trending.
3. Gratuitous fan service. You know the type, lol. Doesn't make or break an anime as a whole, but it can make it lose, how you say, brownie points.
4. The spiral. No, as a focus, it was alright. But in general, the never ending aspiration to achieve greater power can be a droning subject. Human-wise, peaks in your potential are often seen. This fact, however, does not translate.

No comments:

Post a Comment